Wednesday, January 28, 2026

Necessary Evil

"Necessary Evil", by Ian Tregillis, 2013, 423 pages, 131k words. Book 3 of The Milkweed Triptych.

This is a really, really well done trilogy. Logically intricate, multiverse & time-travel both, nazi artificially created superheroes vs cthulhu class extradimensional demons summoned by British warlocks' blood sacrifices.

As I recounted in my review of the 2nd book of the triptych, I read the 1st volume of this over 10 years ago, & then lost it. I read the 2nd volume late last year, & now have finished the 3rd book.

So the entirety of this book, we have 2 versions of the main character involved in the 1940 action: the young version from the current timeline, & the older version from the 1960s. I don't remember that particularly happening in any prior reads??? Seems like I would have encountered that before. Maybe I will remember instances of it now that I have questioned it. Get to work, subconscious.

As I discovered writing the review of book 2, Tregillis retired from writing sci-fi as of 2016 - too much distraction from his day job as a physicist at Los Alamos. I still have his 2015-2016 trilogy The Alchemy Wars going for me. I think I will wait a while & then read those 3 novels all at once. I think the Milkweed Triptych would have been kickass experienced that way.

I will make that my official recommendation: buy all 3 books of the Milkweed Triptych & binge read the 3 of them! Trust me, you won't regret it!

No comments: