Wednesday, January 07, 2026

The Greks Bring Gifts

"The Greks Bring Gifts", by Murray Leinster, 1964, 143 pages.

My younger brother Mark, the author, asked me via email if I remembered Murray Leinster; his novel "The Greks Bring Gifts"; and had I read it? I replied: yes, yes, & maybe.

I was surprised when a week or so later when there appeared in my mailbox an original 1964 paperback copy of said novel, sent by my brother Mark. Thanks Mark!

I finished reading it yesterday. An easy and fun read. Aliens come to earth bearing gifts. Beware!

I think I did read it Back In The Day.

The story is narrated by a human from some time after most of the story happens. Things get wrapped up nicely, you can tell this book was written in simpler times.

1 thing I noticed, re 1964: if was before unleaded gas & catalytic converters. Several instances where auto exhaust becomes pretty nasty. A reminder, the good old days weren't always so good ...

There is a strong female character, the fiance of the main male character, the PhD physicist who starts the process of figuring out the aliens' deliberately misleading technology. She is an MD, & a lot of her boyfriend's ideas originate with her. He tells her several times how she is the smarter one. But, she still at times tries to hold back, because men don't like women smarter than they are. Dated, but still a lot better than most of the libertarian, white male classic science fiction. Way to go Murray!

Check out his Wikipedia page. He never met a genre he didn't like. He wrote "Fantasy, science fiction, horror fiction, mystery fiction, Western fiction, pulp fiction".

No comments: