Sunday, March 01, 2026

The Dark Lady

"The Dark Lady", by Mike Resnick, 1987, 287 pages. Subtitled "A Romance of the Far Future".

I thought this was a new book, surprised it was 1987. Oh, the eBook was just released in 2024. Resnick died in 2020. It appears he published several dozen novels. He won 5 Hugo awards. I kind of remember the name of the 1995 Best Novella winner "Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge", which also won the 1994 Nebula award.

I liked the concept of "The Dark Lady". An interesting woman appears as the subject of works of art over many millenia. Maybe a goddess?

The ending is weak. The characters are mostly unlikeable. In a galactic civilization with many, many alien races, humans are ascendant, & look down on aliens - pretty old school.

I have 1 other of his novels on my iPad: "The Soul Eater", 1981, about an intergalactic big game hunter - again, pretty old school. I might move that to the Unread-forever collection - & I definitely won't buy any more of his books.

No comments: