Thursday, October 08, 2026

Fold Catastrophes

"Fold Catastrophes", by Peter Watts, 2026, 319 pages, 99k words, 11 stories. With an introduction by Richard K. Morgan.

I still think that Watts' novel "Blindsight" was 1 of the best SF stories of all time. Really interesting ideas on consciousness, & different paths for the future evolution of the human race.

"Fold Catastrophes" is a brand new collection of short stories, written between 2013 & 2026. Great bleeding edge hard sci-fi.

I, for 1, am increasingly skeptical about any kind of singularity happening anytime soon. Watts explores several flavors of singularity, & none of them wind up being very pleasant. A few different riffs on emergent group minds.

I had such high expectations for this collection, I was a little worried about being disappointed, but the stories came through with flying colors.

I wish Watts had been more proflific in his writing. It looks like he did some animated scripts & game development. He's 68 YO now, maybe he's still got some ideas left.

No comments: