Tuesday, September 22, 2026

IslandWalk Birds, 2025-2026 Season

My overall birdwatching strategy for IslandWalk is posted here. I have made that post kind of the home page for my Birdwatching in IslandWalk project, and will update it whenever I do a new post on IW Birding.

This is my 6th report, here are the 1st 5:

  1. 2020-2021;
  2. 2021-2022 - the 1st post chronologically, it contains discussions of things I found interesting about a lot of the species - 10 seasons worth;
  3. 2022-2023.
  4. 2023-2024.
  5. 2024-2025.
For the 2025-2026 season, I was in IslandWalk October thru April, less 11 days in KY in November, 8 days on Guadeloupe in February, & 8 days in North Carolina in March.

I manually entered this season's data, 32 bird lists, in this spreadsheet. It doesn't take that long, and it gives me a good review of the data.

I will be reporting for all observed species the following 4 datapoints:

  1. % of days seen;
  2. total birds counted;
  3. average, of the days when the bird was counted; days when the bird wasn't counted don't go into the average;
  4. max.

Here's the link to the IslandWalk hotspot at eBird.org.

Each bird name listed below is linked to its IslandWalk activity page in eBird.org. So click on the name, you will get a picture & all the data eBird has on that bird in IslandWalk.

Note, I went through the eBird bird list for IslandWalk looking for new species. There were 17! I decided to put them into a separate table at the end. I will merge them with the main list for next season.

I set the cut date for pushing into next year's report as April 30.


Swimmers

I guess all are dabbling "ducks"? "Dabbling" === "stick your bill down in the water & swish it around & eat what you get from that" - as opposed to diving ducks.
  • mottled duck: % days 100; tot 936; avg 29.3; max 64.
  • muscovy duck: % days 96; tot 162; avg 5.2; max 12.
  • common gallinule: % days 100; tot 1290; avg 40.3; max 73. After 1st being counted in IW by me 2020-04-02, their #s continue to grow - they have passed the mottled duck as our most populous water fowl species by a good margin. The gallinule seem to like the spike rushes.
  • american coot: % days 66; tot 94; avg 4.5; max 8.
  • egyptian goose: % days 0.
  • canvasback: % days 0.

Divers

We did not get large numbers of any of the Canadian migratory diving duck species as we did in the last couple of years.

Waders

  • great egret: % days 100; tot 279; avg 8.7; max 17. Back to being our most numerous wader. Their average counts was double digits for a lot of the season. I think they like the spike rushes.
  • great blue heron: % days 75; tot 43; avg 1.8; max 4. I think they also like the spike rushes.
  • snowy egret: % days 81; tot 60; avg 2.3; max 13.
  • cattle egret: % days 0.
  • tricolored heron: % days 100; tot 103; avg 3.2; max 6.
  • little blue heron: % days 94; tot 135; avg 4.5; max 12. #s up a bit, passing tricolored heron.
  • green heron: % days 56; tot 22; avg 1.2; max 2.
  • wood stork: % days 91; tot 140; avg 4.8; max 11. #s up considerably, particularly early in the season.
  • white ibis: % days 100; tot 592; avg 18.5; max 53.
  • glossy ibis: % days 81; tot 130; avg 5.0; max 24.
  • limpkin: % days 97; tot 136; avg 4.4; max 10. #s still up, slightly above last season.

Beach Birds

Raptors

Corvids

  • fish crow: % days 88; tot 286; avg 10.2; max 50. I am increasingly thinking it is pointless to count crows. The proper caw goes out, 100 crows can gather in 30 seconds or so. Well, I guess it is interesting to see what the biggest gathering we get is.
  • blue jay: % days 88; tot 239; avg 8.5; max 23. #s down a bit from last season. I doubt it's significant.

Perching Birds (Passerines)


We had 17 new species recorded in eBird for IslandWalk last season! IMO, that's a lot! I am including these in a separate table here, as I did not observe any of them on my X or X2 walks. Next season, I will incorporate them into the master list above.

10 for the indefatigable Pete Laviola, 3 for his mentor George Eschenbach, 2 for Michael Gow, who is a serious birder who teaches school in MA & visits his parents in IW over Christmas, & 2 for me.

#Common NameBirderDate
1Eastern BluebirdPete Laviola2025-07-03
2Black-bellied Whistling-DuckPete Laviola2025-07-03
3Cliff SwallowPete Laviola2025-08-24
4Northern Yellow WarblerPete Laviola2025-09-02
5Hermit ThrushPete Laviola2025-10-20
6Swamp SparrowPete Laviola2025-10-24
7Yellow-crowned Night HeronPete Laviola2025-10-24
8White-winged DovePete Laviola2025-10-27
9Ruby-throated Hummingbirdchris heinz2025-11-02
10Wild TurkeyGeorge Eschenbach2025-11-05
11Ruby-crowned KingletMichael Gow2025-12-25
12Yellow-throated VireoMichael Gow2025-12-25
13Western TanagerGeorge Eschenbach2025-12-31
14Wilson's Snipechris heinz2026-01-29
15Barred OwlGeorge Eschenbach2026-02-16
16Northern Rough-winged SwallowPete Laviola2026-04-17
17Swainson's ThrushPete Laviola2026-05-02

No comments: