Monday, August 29, 2022

IslandWalk Birds, 2020-2021 Season

My overall birdwatching strategy for IslandWalk is posted here.

My 1st ever "IW state of the birds" post was for the 2021-2022 season. I am cloning this post from that post. That post contains discussions of things I found interesting about a lot of the species.

I was of 2 minds about posting the data from 2020-2021. There were only 9 X & X2 datasets, and the final X dataset, on March 4, 2021, was cut short when the arch of my right foot totally gave out at the 4.5 mile point in the 5.41 mile walk. I went straight home (cut down Freeport rather than walking the SW corner) and finished at 5.0. But, there is a bird issue, and I wanted this data for comparison purposes, so I went on and entered it.

[Note, I have quit going barefoot on our tile floors, and have put arch supports in all my shoes & my new comfy slippers, and my feet are doing much better. :-) Hopefully I will be up to walking the 5.41 & 5.47 mile X & X2 routes by December.]

I will do a follow-up post on the bird issue I mentioned. (Hint: cormorants).

I manually entered this data in this spreadsheet

I will be reporting for all observed species the following 4 datapoints:

  1. % of days seen;
  2. total birds counted;
  3. average;
  4. max.
Note, the 2021-2022 post, I reported "# of days seen" vs "% of days seen". I will go back to that post and revise it to show the % instead of the #, for easier year to year comparison.

Doing this post ~18 months after the fact, I don't remember any fun anecdotes to share.

Here's the link to the IslandWalk hotspot at eBird.org.

Each bird name listed below is linked to its IslandWalk activity page in eBird.org. So click on the name, you will get a picture & all the data eBird has on that bird in IslandWalk.

Swimmers

I guess all are dabbling "ducks"? "Dabbling" === "stick your bill down in the water & swish it around & eat what you get from that" - as opposed to diving ducks.

Divers

Waders

Beach Birds

Raptors

Corvids

  • fish crow: % days 67; tot 132; avg 22.0; max 55.
  • blue jay: % days 67; tot 40; avg 6.7; max 20.

Perching Birds (Passerines)

No comments: