Sunday, August 09, 2026

AutoTune for Writing

1st up, the always reliable Gary Marcus:
Two critical updates re: Astra and mathematics
So OpenAI announces a new model has solved 10 hard math problems. Then within a day an Antropic researcher (Alpöge) is able to reproduce 1/2 the results using an older public model.
Alpöge’s fast partial replication made me wonder whether OpenAI’s real advance here was finding (through AI) which open problems were amenable to a certain kind of search and verify technique.
So now in addition to continuously trying to 1-up each other with miraculous claims, the 2 leading AI companies are now starting to play defense as well. Yawn.


From Doc Searls' Weblog, we get the title of my post, which will go in my table of names for LLMs.

Throbsday - On AI wronging and writing

I hate AI writing and can spot it in a second. It’s not just the excess of one-line paragraphs, the contrasty “not that, but this” argument constructions, the excessive use of em dashes. It’s a tone that sounds like the average of a million well-put hunks of text published by competent writers of opinion columns and advertising copy. In other words, a lot like my own writing.

AI writing is AutoTune for the human kind.

Doc Searls has written many times about his use of GenAI, so I was kind of surprised at the negative attitude here. But he makes excellent points: it can be a tool, but please no slop.

Note, lots of musicians totally hate AutoTune.


From the King of Snark, sci-fi author John Scalzi. He joins the group of authors becoming ever more outspoken about AI slop. Hunh, I guess this goes in the table of names as well.

Generative “AI”: The Guitar Hero of Creativity
Yah, you can generate stuff that almost seems decent. But you aren't developing any real skill or, I think more tellingly, any real style.

I remember when my kids would play Guitar Hero & I'm totally like "Why not actually learn to play guitar?" (I think all of my kids do play instruments.)


From Programmable Mutter by Henry Farrell:

The downside of robot solutionism

Mapping the Abelard Snazz feedback loop

Apparently a comic series by Alan Moore in the early 1980s is eerily prescient re the many arms races that seem to define GenAI - using GenAI to detect GenAI slop, cheating, plagiarism, etc. Spoiler alert - the human race winds up being forced to flee the planet - oops!


Here's the home page/directory for my posts on Bullshit. This is post #140.

No comments: