Friday, August 01, 2025

Stochastic Parrots

[Updated 2026-09-08]

In my "Semiotic Zombies" post of 2025-07-12, I was pointed at "Language Machines" subtitled "Cultural AI and the End of Remainder Humanism". I bought a copy of the eBook, & have finished reading the introduction. This book is heavy going, I think I may read it & review/summarize it a chapter at a time. Review/summary of the intro will be forthcoming.

Meanwhile, several new names for LLMs. I particularly liked "Stochastic Parrots", attributed to "AI ethicists Timnit Gebru and Emily Bender" in a 2021 paper "On the Dangers of Stochastic Parrots: Can Language Models Be Too Big? 🦜".

The intro to the book also completely validates the "semiotic" part of my "semiotic zombies" moniker. And the "success" of LLMs is indeed the revenge of French philosophers: Chapter 1 of the book is titled "How the Humanities Lost Language: Syntax, Statistics, and Structure". LOL, the revenge of the humanities professors!

I am discovering so many names for LLMs, maybe all these names will help us understand what these things really are & how they should be used. So I'm going to start a list here, which I will continue to update.

I will order these in the order in which they appeared in this blog.

#NameAuthorDate
1Bullshit Generatorsme2024-06-28
2Bullshit MachinesBergstrom & West2025
3The Poetry MachineSeth Godin2024-07-11
4Language MachinesLeif Weatherby2025
5Cultural AILeif Weatherby2025
6Semiotic Zombiesme2025-07-11
7The Talking DogSeth Godin2025-07-17
8Semiotic OperatorsLeif Weatherby2025
9Stochastic ParrotsGebru & Bender2021
10Culture MachinesLeif Weatherby2025
11Ideology MachinesLeif Weatherby2025
12Acme Self-Writing Word Processor me2025-08-01
13Autocomplete on SteroidsGary Marcus2021
14BullshitGary Marcus2019
15Deranged Zen Poets Spouting Bullshitme2025-07-14
16Slot MachinesCory Doctrow/
Deciphering Glyphs
2025-08-16
17Superhuman Bullshit Generatorsme2025-11-09
18Black-box Talking Dogsme2025-11-17
19ClankerWilliam Tenn1958
20Autocomplete Robotme2026-03-12
21Nonpragmatic Geniesme2026-07-27
22all-powerful psychopathsStuart J. Russell2026-07-28
23AutoTune for WritingDoc Searls2026-08-06
24The Guitar Hero of CreativityJohn Scalzi2026-08-06
25oft-mendacious talking horsesAmar Bhidé2024-04-10
26Acme Slop Generatorsme2026-09-08

Note, #2 above came from this post, which links to an impressive course titled "Modern Day Oracles or Bullshit Machines?" by Bergstrom & West, who are U of Washington professors. I just ordered their 2020 book "Calling Bullshit". These guys may be the bullshit experts we need!

I just came up with #12 this afternoon. I did a lot of work with early word processing & word processors - there were dedicated systems, Wang was big on that - in the late 70s, early 80s. DEC made 1, PDP-8 based, it had a custom keyboard with lots of different color keys for editing functions. There was a Canadian word-processing company who had a product Word-11, that came with decals that you put on the front of the keys of DEC VT-100 monitor keyboards. KMN!

LOL, I checked my Pocket Guides box in the basement. I have been trying to get someone to take these for years decades. Internet Archive is my next target.

I think this is another way of saying "Autocomplete on Steroids". Oops, that should be in the table. #13.

[Updated 2026-07-27]
"Nonpragmatic Genies" is more a name for "AI Agents" than LLMs. We may need a new, separate table for "AI Agent" names.


Here's the home page/directory for my posts on Bullshit.

2 comments:

garymarcus said...

I coined autocomplete on steroids, here’s one place I said in 2021, https://youtu.be/TPbndc-uIDw?si=TH9qpXUsDbQbcu05&utm_source=MTQxZ

i first used bullshit to describe LLMs at least as early as 2020, possibly earlier in 2019: https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/08/22/1007539/gpt3-openai-language-generator-artificial-intelligence-ai-opinion/

you should probably correct the above.

Chris Heinz said...

Thanks, I have updated the article. Great to get the word straight from the horses mouth.