My younger brother Mark, the author, sent me a trade paper copy of this book. The author of this book, Joe Taylor, "has been the director of Livingston Press at the University of West Alabama ... forever." Livingston Press published 1 of Mark's novels.
Mark said Joe sends him copies of all his stuff. Mark thought I would enjoy this novel so he passed it on to me.
Thanks Mark! I did enjoy this novel!
I would call the genre Magical Realism. The story is set in Lexington KY, where I have lived since 1981. It takes place Februarary 8-14, 2021, between the 1st & 2nd covid vaccinations. Our protagonist is laid off from his marketing job at Toyota in Georgetown KY - just north of Lexington, it is the source of all Camrys.
After days of doom scrolling bad news on his phone, he decides that he will revive the persona of The Lone Ranger, & travel the land trying to right wrongs & help people.
His spirit quest is immediately disrupted by the appearance of Coyote, the trickster god. He meets twin sisters, 1 of whom agrees to be Tonto, who join him on his quest.
The story moves along well, There are lots of wry comments about the state of things. It has a happy ending, yay!
1 thing I identified with, Taylor makes creative use of typography, particularly strikethrough. I love using strikethrough! It's like saying "here's what I really mean" followed by "here's what I am forced to say".
Plus there was a lot of riffing on exclamation points and ellipses.
I have only one complaint, and it's not the book's fault: it did have references to recent political event, i.e., the Orange Turd. I have been having nightmares about the Orange Turd and his Fascist Flunkies [worst band name ever] every 3rd night or so. I had a doozy the night after I finished this book. But, again, not the book's fault, it's hard not to get triggered, given the current Fascist state of affairs.
I'm dropping the copy Mark sent me at the Lexington Public Library to add to their collection - seems appropriate.
I'm having a copy shipped to my daughter Erica because she knew 1 of the side characters in the book! Lexington is not a big city.
Thanks again, Mark, and Joe! An enjoyable & quick read!

2 comments:
Wow! Thanks for the goo review! Yep, sorry about the Orange Guy's presence, but unavoidable these days. I'm placing my hopes in Big Macs or maybe even the roof of the White House, if he keeps wandering there.
Joe, this has been fun! I really don't think about the past much, but, when it is summoned up as you did, apparently I remember a fair amount. & it is fun retrieving those memories. Thanks!
Post a Comment