Thursday, October 01, 2020

#SongOfTheDay

From the start of pandemic lockdown in late March til I came home to Lexington in early September, I averaged over 9 new songs in my book per week. Lately, 3/4 of these are standards, 1900-1970. I have enjoyed playing an hour or so from my lanai in Fl or my back patio in KY, but I'm in KY now and it's getting too cold for playing outdoors in the evenings.

So I've started posting 1 song/day to YouTube. For the jazz standards, I created a persona/account Jaz Dumoz. Here is the URL for that channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8G0QzZxDOB8cRk1-5n7lA
I'm hoping that maybe post pandemic I can play Giuseppe's or Creux or other places that feature jazz, and can point them at this channel as a virtual audition.

I've currently got ~75 standards in my book, another 10 or so in the to-be-worked-up list, and 1-1/2 years of "Peter Gunn" episodes to watch. I'm going to target using those 6 days/week. 1 day/week, I will post something newer or different. So far, "September", 1978, my favorite Earth, Wind, & Fire song. Those I am posting to this YouTube channel as my old musical alter ego Jim Dumas:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs7QrCGIS2G_pgRvzKeqlSw

I'm tweeting YouTube link after I post each song, tagged #SongOfTheDay, #song, #music, and #standards if appropriate.

I've done 5 so far. Most takes required so far has been 3. Only problem is, my intonation is back to sounding like shit. I used to think it was really bad. I couldn't listen to recordings of myself. Then, a couple of years ago, it seemed to get a lot better. These recordings, it is back to sounding bad. Maybe because I'm doing them mid-afternoon rather than nights when my voice has had some bourbon lube? Or maybe in lockdown mode I'm not getting to use my voice enough? Not sure, but I'm not going to worry about it for now - just plow ahead and hope it gets better.

No comments: