Monday, October 11, 2021

It's Not As Bad As I Thought

I've already said "Music In is a mess" too many times. I'm finally getting around to processing this. Again, the problem is integrating the music I download on my MacBook when I'm in Florida into my permanent collection on my desktop PC in Kentucky.

It looks like I have 8 albums added in Lexington from Sep to Nov of last year in _Unrated on the PC. So I will process those 1st.

Then, it looks like there are 30 albums on the MacBook to be moved to the PC and processed. I've listened to these I think a lot more than the ones on the PC - those I've been looping on for the last 2-3 weeks. So 38 albums total to process. Not too bad - my November 30 makeup post after spending March-September of last year in Florida processed 41 albums. So I've got a few less than that to process.

Rather than do a huge 41 album post again, I think I'll process these 6-10 at a time. Maybe based on when added to my collection? I can get the date for Amazon purchases, not sure if I can on BandCamp. Ahh, I can use the file creation dates on the MacBook.

So 1st the 8 already on the pc. Then the next post, the next 6 or so from Florida.

I've also gotten behind on checking out the new stuff recommended by bandcamp. I have emails going back to early July. I think I'll get to those as I get more caught up on the stuff I've already purchased.

[Updated 2021-10-10 I wrote that and made this list 2021-09-03. Just now getting back to it. I've definitely been putting it off. I decided, no new novels until this is done, and the 1st group of albums are uploaded to the pc.]

  • Redeyes, "Selfportraits LP", 2020, 20 tracks, Bandcamp. Nice French (Toulouse) techno tracks. Very listenable. 4 stars. Here's "Selfportaits: The Movie" on YouTube. Nice!

  • William Tyler, "New Veritas", 2020, 7 tracks, Bandcamp. Very ethereal alternative guitar rock. Pleasant listening, but nothing very memorable. And, of course, I think it could use vocals. 3 stars.
  • Fleet Foxes, "Shore", 2020, 15 tracks. Their 4th album. I really feel like the power folk bands struggle to maintain a sound once they are successful with it. These guys seem to have stuck with their heavy reverb engineering. Some of these songs are inventive and strong, so I am going for 4 stars for the 1st time since their 1st album (eponymous). Here's "Cradling Mother, Cradling Woman" - not very folky, more Sufjan Stephens or even Grizzly Bear:

  • Wendy Eisenberg, "Auto", 2020, 13 tracks, Bandcamp. Very pleasant quirky alternative music. Nice vocals. 4 stars. This track, "futures", had the most videos.

  • Cribaby, "love songs for everyone", 2020, 5 tracks, Bandcamp. These are fabulously chill r&b female singer tracks, all totally great. 4 stars. Here's "some kinda voodoo": https://criibaby.bandcamp.com/track/some-kinda-voodoo
  • Half Moon Run, "The Covideo Sessions", 2020, 11 tracks, Bandcamp. High energy neo-folkrock. In the same wheelhouse as the Jayhawks maybe. 4 stars. Here's "full circle":

  • Andrew Bird, "Hark!", 2020, 13 tracks, Bandcamp. As a rule, I don't buy xmas albums. I have everything Aimee Mann has ever recorded, but I did not buy her xmas album. When I did #SongOfTheDay for 100 straight days, it included 14 straight days of holiday music, 2020-12-20 thru 2021-01-01. I mostly go for 4 stars for Andrew, but, he did 3 small pandemic albums. Those were 4*, so I've heard them probably enough. So I think I'll go with 3 stars.
  • Gorillaz, "Song Machine, Season One: Strange Timez", 2020, 17 tracks. As always a good effort by Gorillaz. Quite the all-star cast of collaborators, including Elton John. 4 stars. Here's "Désolé ft. Fatoumata Diawara (Episode Two)".

OK. _unrated is empty. I will fill it up, and create the outline in the next Music In post as I go. Everything is clumped together as to date, I'll try to tease some date info out. Onward!

No comments: