Monday, October 25, 2021

1st Batch of 2021 Music In

OK, I'm going to create this list as I upload these to my PC. Then I'll come back and rate and comment after I've listened to them a bit.
  • Juana Molina, "ANRMAL", 2020, 11 tracks, Bandcamp. This was from late 2020 and got missed somehow. A full album of Argentinian punk. Really fun to listen to, a good variety of tunes. It seems to be a live album, it's so great that you can hardly tell anymore. Wow, looking her up on Wikipedia, she's 60 YO, 2nd generation show biz, been recording for 20 years. 4 stars. Here's "Eras". Hah, she's playing a cherry SG open-handed - FTW!

  • Jorge Elbrecht, "Presentable Corpse 002", 2021, 12 tracks, Bandcamp. This is lot more poppy than some of his other albums - so I like it better. Still, 3 stars.
  • Market, "2", 2021, 3 tracks, Bandcamp. From Melbourne, Oz. Very laid back, very chill, very dreamy. 4 stars. Here's "Show it".

  • First Word Records, "Two Syllables Volume Seventeen", 2021, 16 tracks, Bandcamp. A sampler of their artists, and a good one - I got 2 new artists from it. I really like when record labels do these. My oldest daughter gave me 1 from Luaka Bop decades ago that opened a lot of doors for me. This one does too. 4 stars, but no video, I'll add for some of the individual artists.
  • Ella Fitzgerald & Joe Pass, "Take Love Easy", 1973, 9 tracks. The 1st of 4 albums these 2 did together. I was really looking forward to this, but Ella's voice is not what it was in the 20s-50s. So sad, she is my favorite vocalist of all time, so I am being more critical than I am of many other aging artists. But in her prime, her voice, her timbre, were just magical. It's a good collaboration though. 4 stars. I almost went with 3, but, it's Ella. Here's "A Foggy Day".

  • Joe Pass, "Virtuoso", 1974, 12 tracks. At 1st, I was overwhelmed by this. "Too many notes." But as I got used to it, I found it very enjoyable. 4 stars. Here's "Cherokee". Fast enough?

  • Takuya Kuroda, "Fly Moon Die Soon", 2020, 9 tracks, Bandcamp. This comes from the First Word Records sampler. He is a jazz trumpeter with a great band and great tunes. I've often complained about jazz that it is too abstract and not hooky enough. None of that here, great tunes. A lot of the 2 bar, 8 beat pattern (the clave?) so dominant in international music. 4 stars. Here's the song from the collaboration, "Do No Why".

  • Roxy Music, eponymous, 1972, 10 tracks. Someone insisted this was a classic I had to check out. I did. I had no idea this was Brian Eno's 1st band. Overall, it didn't do much for me. 3 stars.
  • The Beths, "Future Me Hates Me", 2018, 10 tracks, Bandcamp. From Auckland, New Zealand. I liked their 2020 "Jump Rope Gazers". This 1 is good too. Nice energetic tunes. 4 stars. Here's the 1st track "Great No One".

This brings us up to 2021-01-12.

No comments: