- Madeline Kenney, "Kiss from the Balcony", 2025, 9 tracks, BandCamp. More exploratory than some of her other albums, maybe? It took me quite a few listens to finally hear her voice in these songs, but she finally did win through. Then I went to find a video. There are 3 on YouTube, I didn't particularly care for any of them. So, 3 stars.
- Redeyes, "The weight of the world is too heavy for my shoulders", 2025, 7 tracks, BandCamp. More like tone poems than dance tracks. I always like to see & hear when artists try something new, but this is consistently just way, way too slow, tempo-wise. 3 stars.
- Lake Street Dive, "Lake Street Dive & Lawrence: The City Winery Sessions", 2025, 4 tracks, BandCamp. A collaboration with the band Lawrence, an 8-piece out of NYC led by siblings Clyde & Gracie Lawrence. The 1st 3 tracks are Lake Street Dive songs, the 4th track "Do" I think is a Lawrence song. The vocals are quite a bit more choral, nice! Here's "Do". The music starts at 1:47.
- The Beths, "Straight Line Was A Lie", 2025, 10 tracks, BandCamp. Not as strong as their prior efforts. A bit more formulaic maybe? Still, a good collection of songs. 4 stars. Here's the title track. The lead guitarist appears to be playing a Gibson Firebird without a pick, nice!
- Roger McGuinn & Chris Hillman, "City (feat. Gene Clark)", 1980, 10 tracks. Another likeable collection of tunes. But, LOL, surprising that this album is so ... 1980s! I was going to feature the title song "City", but, how could I pass up "Skate Date". I have this incredible urge to watch "Xanadu", with Olivia Newton-John (released 1980, of course). The rollerskating fad was mercifully short-lived.
Skate date. Rollin' down the street.
KMN! -4 stars! Here's the song for your own appreciation! Wow, the bridge is as bad as the verses!
Skate date. Feelin' so elite.
Skate date. I got wings on my fee-ee-ee-eet! - Asher White, "8 Tips for Full Catastrophe Living", 2025, 9 tracks, BandCamp. This album is all over the place. So, kudos for creativity, 4 stars. Here's the 1st track, "Why I Bought the House".
- Fruit Bats, "Baby Man", 2025, 10 tracks, BandCamp. I remember their earlier stuff as sounding more like a band. I have only the album "The Ruminant Band" from 2009. I went back & listened to that album, a lot more energetic than this current effort, & indeed a band: 2 guitars, bass, drums, harmony vocals.
This album sounds like a solo act, vocals with guitar or piano. A somewhat annoying voice. Definitely weaker songs than the earlier effort. 3 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment