Thursday, October 02, 2025

Model Collapse

"Model Collapse" is a short story by Matthew Kressel, a well-known science fiction author whose work I enjoy, published yesterday at tor.com.

This is a "post-LLM-generated-bullshit-apocalyptic" horror story! I never imagined I would be saying those words. This is an incredibly timely story.

In the ongoing Bullshit Apocalypse, the world is becoming increasing filled with AI slop. I think this is now unavoidable. Too many tech-bros looking for the big $$$. Everybody drinking the kool-aid.

Meanwhile, progress is being made on direct brain-computer interfaces.

So you're already living in a world filling up with AI slop, what happens when the AI slop starts leaking into your brain?

Model collapse is that happens when an LLM starts training itself on LLM output. The downward spiral into complete & utter bullshit happens very quickly.


I used to say, as soon as I could implant my net access chip behind my ear, I would go for it.

Now, no way, no how! The computer industry has so failed to make security issues a top priority, to me it is madness to allow net access to any part of your life of which you are not in direct, manual control.

So, no thanks to internet-enabled appliances that can be hacked & held for ransom, or bricked by the manufacturer when he decides to squeeze a few more $$$ out of you. Or to doorbells with net-enabled cameras that can be appropriated by the ICE-wipes or whatever government agency feels like it.

On top of that, now add AI slop to the picture. I absolutely DO NOT want that bullshit in my head!

I am on a mission from god to avoid LLMs. It is not too bad so far, but I know it will get harder & harder. &, will they have fixed the slop problem? Of course not. No $$$ in that. :-(


Here's the home page/directory for my posts on Bullshit.

No comments: