Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Last Exit / Battle of the Linguist Mages

As you can see from the title, something new for book blogging - only 2 books.

1st, "Last Exit", by Max Gladstone, 2022, 642 pages, 199k words. This came out over a year ago. The backlog of books on my iPad indicates that I will be reading books more and more after the fact.

This novel was not a page turner. I like the writing and the pacing. The characters are all strong. A lot of the book is dialogues between most if not all of the combinations of the books 6 main characters. The world building is very good. This book, and the next as well, both deal with fighting against basically The Nothing out of The Neverending Story. At the end of this one, the good guys win, although I'm not sure how. Still, I enjoyed the read.

The 2nd book I really enjoyed. I'm going to include the cover here:

"Battle of the Linguist Mages", by Scotto Moore, 2022, 550 pages, 149k words.

I really liked the earlier novella by fairly new author, playwright Scotto Moore, "Your Favorite Rock Band Will Not Save You". "Battle" has lots of pop culture including video gaming and DJing references, and a writing style which I think is similar to mine: an amalgam of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (the movie), "Bill and Ted", and "MST3K". Again The Nothing is defeated, this time in a clear and hilarious manner. This book was really a lot of fun, Joe Bob sez check it out.

No comments: