Wednesday, March 27, 2019

How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World

is the subtitle of "Mycelium Running", by Paul Stamets, 2005, 343 pages.

Stamets is the founder and guiding light of Fungi Perfecti (fungi.com) in Washington State. In 2012, I grew shitakes in my basement with a kit (spore infused wood chip block) from Fungi Perfecti - a gift from my wife. I grew a couple other shitake blocks and a oyster mushroom block with blocks that came from Billy Webb's Sheltowee Farm in Eastern KY. Here's a shitake block growing:

Here's the oysters growing:

Here's Billy Webb, the mushroom man himself, in 2013 with a fine selection of mushrooms. Blocks are on the right.

Billy quit coming to that farmer's market, and I haven't seen him for a few years. He still delivers to restaurants in Lexington, Louisville, and Cincinnati. He was supposed to take me out foraging the forest around his farm down in the Danial Boone National Forest some autumn, but that never happened. I should prolly track him down - maybe I'll just text him a link to this post.

The book was an xmas gift from my middle daughter, soon to be a landscape architect. I think this book has a lot of useful information for her field, so I think it will go back to her - but my friend Fuzzy wants to borrow it first.

Part 1 (4 chapters) is titled "The Mycelial Mind". It introduces us to fungal networks. Stamets points out that these networks, which can become huge, can resemble the large scale structure of the universe, as shown below. I don't know that this means much, but I had already used this pic in the blog, and it's a neat pic, so here it is again ;->

Stamets reviews the many medical uses of mushrooms. A lot of these were early stage research, and I don't remember hearing about any new mushroom-based cancer cures in the 14 years since the book's publication. It would be nice to have an update, maybe I'll check their website.

Part II (4 chapters) is titled "Mycorestoration". This is really interesting stuff. Stamets divides this topic into 4 subtopics:

  1. Mycofiltration. Mushrooms are particularly effective at filtering farm waste before it gets back into the watershed.
  2. Mycoforestry. He favors chipping waste wood in forests such that it makes contact with the ground where the mycelia can infuse and digest it - particularly as an alternative to burning the waste wood. The right mycelia act as an extension to a tree's root system, providing it with increased water, nutrients, and hence growth. Stamets states that with conventional logging practices, after 3-4 harvests of trees, the forest topsoil is largely gone. His techniques would combat this - the mycelia create new topsoil.
  3. Mycomediation. Wow, oyster mushrooms will eat oil spills! Some mushrooms are also hyper-accumulators of heavy metals. So you have to harvest the mushrooms and then get the metal removed - no eating. You should also not eat mushrooms growing by roadways because most are excellent at absorbing the arsenic in auto exhaust.
    Unfortunately, no mushrooms do anything with lead.
    I wonder if they can do anything with coal ash? There's lot of that nasty stuff around.
  4. Mycopesticides.
Part III (6 chapters) is titled "Growing Mycelia and Mushrooms". It includes various techniques for growing mushrooms; a chapter on the "Nutritional Properties of Mushrooms", and a long final chapter "Magnificent Mushrooms: The Cast of Species" detailing the most useful kinds of mushrooms.

I love mushrooms; my wife likes them too. When I was a kid, my dad had a fishing buddy, John Svengali, who owned a mushroom farm in eastern Jefferson County (KY), just east of the Shelby County line. He grew white button mushrooms, and whenever my dad fished with John, he always brought home a big bag of mushrooms. So I grew up eating these on a regular basis, prepared in several ways.

I use mushrooms wherever possible when cooking: shitake, portobella, porcini, oyster (in the "gourmet mushroom blend" must supermarkets sell), and white buttons. So I think I am going to try to grow some in the back part of our yard. The trees back there provide so much shade that the main thing growing there now is moss. My wife has also lately been introducing some hostas. Maybe we get enough mycelia back there, they will eat the leaves to I don't have to rake them.

From the book, the best candidates for growing from the ground with some scrap wood down look like parasol, garden giant, and oysters. OK, ordering from fungi.com "The Garden Giant Mushroom Patch™" for $25 and "The Mycelium Running Oyster Mushroom Patch™" for $24. $19.17 shipping.

Back in the mushroom growing business again. Yay!

5 comments:

James Kung said...

Nice post!!

Delun Kang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris Heinz said...

I personally was not positing that "it can save the world" - that was the subtitle of the book.
Still, I find the properties of mycelium/mushrooms to be amazing! Plus, 'shrooms delish to eat!

Mariia Smith said...

Hello, Dear, nice information about Growing mushrooms. Growing this edible fungus is not an easy task to do as it takes many efforts to do. That is the reason behind that coveted brands are engaged in growing the healthier and fresh Mushroom logs maintaining its supreme quality. The best thing is that these brands keep paying extra attention and doggedly engaged in producing the best quality product to serve in the market. Shiitake is the “King of the Mushroom” and hold the quite lovely taste. It is loaded with amino acids, multivitamin, and polysaccharide. The best thing is that a number of dishes available made up of using it. Shiitake stands for “Beech Mushroom” in Japanese. Shiitake Mushroom Logs is also quite fascinating to see. It holds incredible shape, shade, and size to lure food lovers. Recently I have purchased Shiitake Mushroom spawn from Agrinoon, who keeps working on the new technology to enhance the quality of the product.

Delun Kang said...

First of all I loved mushrooms. It has lots of vitamins. And one more thing I never forget that is the best quality mushrooms. That's why I always prefer a good company like Agrinoon. You can try Oyster Mushroom and Shiitake Mushroom to eat. A few months ago, bought quality oyster mushroom from Agrinoon (Fujian) at a reasonable cost.