Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Expiration Date

"Expiration Date", by Tim Powers, 1996, 568 pages, 176k words. Book 2 of the Fault Lines series.

I was going to power through & binge this series after I reread the 1st book, "Last Call", for maybe the 3rd or 4th time. Technical difficulties at Kobo prevented that. Those difficulties finally got resolved a few weeks ago. So I got to reread this book.

Quite a bit of new mythos is added to the 1st volume of the series. Ghosts exist, & can be captured & smoked. Smoking ghosts is, of course, addictive, but it is apparently a real rush; gives you new memories & experiences; & apparently increases lifespan.

An 11 YO boy whose cultist parents were grooming him to be a Holy Man winds up ingesting the powerful ghost of Thomas Alva Edison. But as he is pre-pubescent, he cannot digest Edison. They wind up cohabiting the body.

All of LAs most powerful ghost addicts are totally lusting for the Edison ghost. Drama & plot ensue.

I'm 2/3 of the way through Book 3, all these are longer than I remember. But, still good reads, a good series.

No comments: