I enjoyed Nayler's 1st novel, "The Mountain in the Sea". Well, I was forced to like it, it had octopuses in it.
His latest is also near-future sci-fi. It was somewhat eerily similar to Ken Liu's latest: lots of LLM-based "AI", with powerful new technologies introduced over that. In the Liu, the additional technology is dream manipulation, as an art form. In the Nayler, there are 2 new technologies:
- Serial immortality - but only for the Beloved Leader - via consciousness transfer into a new body.
- Mind-to-mind communication, via quantum entanglement, both a read-only & a read-write version.
This is really well-written, great characters, lots of surprises. Maybe not for the squeamish.
I would be hard-pressed to choose which I liked better: this or the Liu. I think this 1 was a good bit shorter, so it might get the nod.
Note, you don't get the title explained until very late in the book. It is worth the wait.

No comments:
Post a Comment