Monday, November 15, 2021

3rd Batch of 2021 Music In

Moving right along ...
  • Becca Mancari, "Juniata", 2021, 4 tracks, Bandcamp. 3 of the tracks are acoustic versions of songs off of her prior album. Nice alternative chick pop. 4 stars. Here's the only new track, "Annie".

  • Julie London, "Lonely Girl", 1956, 13 tracks. Her 2nd album, with Al Viola on guitar as the sole accompanist. They were really pushing her sultry, breathy, pin-up girl image on this album, I really didn't care for the style much. 3 stars.
  • Rita Payés & Elisabeth Roma, "Imagina", 2019, 12 tracks. Payés is a trombonist and vocalist (and also a guitar player I think). I support her on Patreon. I believe Roma is her mother, who is a great guitarist. I believe I had to order this as a CD from her website, and I had to sign for it as it was delivered direct from Spain. Very tasty stuff, so pleasant to listen to. 4 stars. Here's "A Rita"

  • Sarah Vaughan, "After Hours", 1961, 11 tracks. Her 1st album accompanied by just guitar (Mundell Lowe) and upright bass, the year before she did "Sarah + 2" with Barney Kessel on guitar. I don't like this one near as much as "Sarah + 2" - I think it is just the song selection. She has such an amazing voice tho, so still 4 stars. Here's "In a Sentimental Mood" (written by Duke Ellington).

  • Louis Armstrong, "Sachmo Plays Fats", 1955, 20 tracks. There are 11 unique tracks, 9 are alternate versions. I'm so glad I found this album! 1st, he has an intro to "Honeysuckle Rose", which I was excited to find. 2nd, I really liked "i'm crazy 'bout my baby (and my baby's crazy 'bout me)", which is a fun, catchy tune that I have worked up. Also on the album, "i've got a feeling i'm falling", which I had already worked up. Interesting, his wikipedia article says that Louis' 1929 recording of "Ain't Misbehavin'" "became his biggest selling record to date". That was the 1st Fats track I learned to play, from an arrangement by my teacher Rick Howard.
    The female vocalist on several tracks seems to be Velma Middleton, who sang with Louis from 1942-1961. In 1961, while touring in Sierra Leone, she suffered a massive stroke and died a month later, age 43.
    4 stars, and 2 samples: "Honeysuckle Rose" and "I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby (And My Baby's Crazy 'Bout Me)".

  • Children of Zeus, "Balance", 2021, 13 tracks, Bandcamp. A very talented duo out of Manchester, UK. I had their earlier work as Electronica/Dance, this one I put as R&B - slower, more soulful grooves. No, I think I'm going to make all their stuff Hip Hop. Some nice tunes as well as the rap. 4 stars. Here's "No Love Song".

  • Blood Cultures, "LUNO", 2021, 8 tracks, Bandcamp. Out of Brooklyn. This sounds like 2 or 3 different bands - different styles, different vocalists. Some good tracks, but I think 3 stars until they settle down and find what their sound is.
  • Madeline Kenney, "Summer Quarter, 2021, 4 tracks, Bandcamp. This is the 4th album of hers I have. Nice, catchy chill indie rock. Interesting guitar work. 4 stars. Here's the title track.

No comments: