Wednesday, April 18, 2018

#ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime #TheFuture #EnlightmentNow

Maybe my fav chapter in "Enlightenment Now" by Steven Pinker, blogged here, was Chapter 12, "Safety". I decided to tweet one of the chapter's FFTKAT (Fun Facts To Know And Tell, AKA cool statistics) every few days. Plus I added 1 of my own, which is my fav of all (bolded). Here they are, in chronological order:

March 31: From 1921 to 2015, motor vehicle accident deaths per mile driven decreased by a factor of 24x.
I love living in the future!
HT @sapinker
#ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime #TheFuture

April 3: From 1921 to 2015, pedestrians killed by motor vehicles decreased by a factor of 6x.
I love living in the future!
HT @sapinker
#ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime #TheFuture

April 4: I love living in the future!
My three ring song binder was getting really heavy - 374 songs/pages. But it seems like I can add as many songs as I want to my iPad and it doesn’t get any heavier!!! Magic!
#ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime #TheFuture #music #OnSong

April 6: In 1970, your chance to die on an airline flight was < 5 in 1,000,000. As of 2015, that chance has decreased by a factor of 100x.
I love living in the future!
HT @sapinker
#ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime #TheFuture #FAA #GovernmentRegulationSavesLives

April 10: Since the 1930s your chance of dying in a fall has declined by 72%. I guess those idiotic "not a step" labels actually work!
I love living in the future!
HT @sapinker
#ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime #TheFuture #GovernmentRegulationSavesLives

April 12: Since the 1930s your chance of dying in a fire or by drowning have declined by >90%.
I love living in the future!
HT @sapinker
#ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime #TheFuture #EnlightenmentNow #GovernmentRegulationSavesLives #ThanksFiremen #ThanksLifeguards

April 15: In 1929, >20,000 workers were killed on the job. In 2015, with 2.5x population, 5,000 workers died, a 10x reduction.
I love living in the future!
HT @sapinker
#ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime #TheFuture #EnlightenmentNow #OSHA #GovernmentRegulationSavesLives

April 18: From 1900 to 2015, your chance of of being killed by a bolt of lightning decreased by a factor of 37x. Go figure!
I love living in the future!
HT @sapinker
#ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime #TheFuture #EnlightenmentNow #NWS #NOAA #GovernmentServicesSaveLives

I posted this comment to the FaceBook write-through post of the last tweet.
Note, this is the last FFTKAT (Fun Fact To Know And Tell) from Chapter 12, "Safety", of "Enlightenment Now". I think I will consolidate all these in a blog post. So farewell to #ItsGettingBetterAllTheTime and #TheFuture - for a while.
The 1 about my iPad is my fav because this is indeed magic, and we now completely take it for granted! My iPad has 5,000 tracks of music, 1000s of pictures, 460 songs in my performing music management app, > 500 eBooks, and all these numbers can increase 2x, 3x, 10x, and my iPad WON"T GET ANY HEAVIER! I love living in the information age! I love living in the future!

No comments: