Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Muse

Thursday and Friday I was feeling really worn out -- maybe all this freezing weather. I resolved to get up this morning, take the dog out, and go back to bed. Which I did around 8.

So back in bed, I'm in the hypnagogic state, half awake, half dreaming, and I notice three times that the hit parade (the music that always plays in my head) is playing original songs! Brand new! Just then made up! And of course, completely forgotten now.

So, when I want to starting writing songs, here's the methodology: stay abed late, with a recorder, and record these new songs as they come in.

Interesting, the way your mind puts together random memes to produce your dreams -- the exact thing seemed to be happening with the background music to the dreams, hence the new songs. Hmmm, memes recombining frantically, this is probably a good source of creative input for most things. Just a little directed dreaming when you stay in bed too long with a recorder handy. I had a really good idea about work that is now forgotten.

I'm blogging this hot of the presses so I don't forget it. You know how dreams are.

1 comment:

suzieq said...

I wake up and remember entire rooms and homes with decor that I've never seen before - and they're beautiful! Unfortunately, I cannot draw, so they're gone forever. And I only remember dream visuals for a very short time after waking. Agh! Why can't I be creative like that when I'm awake?