Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Waking Dream? A Psychotic Break?

This happened when we were flying to St. Martin. I meant to blog it earlier and forgot.

Anyway, we're in the Lexington airport to leave, and as I'm walking to the gate, the standard security announcement comes on:

The Department of Homeland Security has raised the alert level to orange. Please blah blah blah ...
But then, after the standard announcement finished, the same voice continued on:
And when you're done with your traveling, why not unwind and relax at Blah resort? They know how to get rid of the stress of travelling.
??? Holy shit, I thought ... commercials on airport security announcements? As my friend David says, is irony dead? I couldn't believe I had heard it. I asked an airline employee how long they had been doing that, she said a couple of months. I sat down and remarked on it to my wife and another woman seated by us. I don't particularly remember their reaction, but I don't think they acted as if I was crazy.

But, that was around 5 weeks ago, I have been in airports 4-5 times since then, and I have not heard this again. And, when I think about it, I just can't believe that they would do that. So was this a dream, or what? I guess I will ask my wife what she remembers about it.

Putting my shoes back on at security a week ago on my way to London (more later), I asked a TSA guy if there were commercials attached to the security announcements. He kind of ignored the question -- maybe not the sharpest pencil in the box -- shocker -- but did comment on the fact that "the level has been raised to orange" for around 18 months. Maybe time to change from the past participle to the past tense ...

No comments: