Thursday, July 18, 2024

Music In, 2024, Batch 1

After 16 albums to finish 2023, Q1 of 2024 is really slim: 3 albums. And, almost, no 4 stars!

  • John Primer, "Hard Times", 2022, 13 tracks. Recommended by my Canadian blues harpist friend, who had seen him. Meh. B-list blues, good players all, but, nothing catchy. 2 stars.

  • Bonnie "Prince" Billy, "I See A Darkness", 1998, 11 tracks, Bandcamp. Continuing to backfill this Louisville musician. Given the title, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, that this is a dark album. In addition to the title tune, we get "Another Day Full Of Dread", "Death To Everyone", "Today I Was An Evil One", and "Black". LOL, well, not uplifting. 3 stars.

    In the music I post online & perform live, I continue to be amazed by how much more popular fast songs are than slow songs. It doesn't do it to me, but lots of people perceive slow as sad, as being a downer.

  • Norah Jones, "Visions", 2024, 12 tracks. This almost got 3 stars - no songs really hitting the sweet spot for me - but, finally, I realized that "I Just Wanna Dance" was worthy of having a video posted! So, yay, 4 stars!

Batch 2 / Q2 will be 10 albums. Not doing that much new music listening, music out & Jaz Dumoz are taking up most of my music bandwidth.

No comments: