Friday, June 07, 2019

Oof

I haven't done Music In since late November - 7 months. The winter was a bit sparse, so I have been looking to new - and old - sources for new music.
  • Darwin Deez, "Songs for Imaginative People", 2013, 10 tracks. I think I originally found Darwin Deez on the iPad app Aweditorium. 1 thing I have started doing to get more new music is, when someone comes up on shuffle play and I like it, I revisit that artist for later works - as this album is. His guitar has a really unique tone. One live video he's playing a Squire Strat, so it must be in the amp. 4 stars. Here's "Free (The Editorial Me)" - nice video, reminiscent of "Memento" or "Groundhog Day" with a much shorter loop.

  • Grizzly Bear, "Horn of Plenty", 2004, 14 tracks. This does it for Grizzly Bear - this is their 1st album. Ha ha, this is definitely a band that improved with age. This album is fairly unfocused, no memorable songs. 3 stars. But, "Horn of Plenty" === Cornucopia, 1 of my fav words. So here's a pic.

  • Danny Gatton and Buddy Emmons, "Redneck Jazz Explosion, Vol. II", 1978, 8 tracks. This is not quite as strong as Vol. I, but still, hard to find fault with the god of pedal steel guitar playing with a great guitarist. 4 stars. Here's "When Sunny Gets Blue".

  • Jorge Elbrecht: "Happiness EP", 2018, 6 tracks; "Here Lies", 2018, 14 tracks; "Coral Cross - 002", 2019, 10 tracks. This was a recommendation from my most excellent nephew, drummer Max Heinz, of Portland ME. I liked these more early than I did later. "Coral Cross - 002" particularly was much more noise than I like in my music - 2 stars. 3 stars for the other 2.
  • Wilco, "A.M.", 1995, 13 tracks. I continue my exploration of Wilco. This is there 1st album. I didn't think there was a particularly catchy song, a prereq for 4 stars - then this next came up. 4 stars, after months at 3!

  • Sour Cream Band, "Sour Cream", 2018, 10 tracks. 1 of the best albums I have heard performed by people <= 17 YO. Guitar is Harlan Cecil, son of Sherri McGee, "Chick Drummer with Balls". They did a 45 minute performance on WRFL Live and I heard 0 bad notes - impressive. I have loaned Harlan my 3 pickup Flying V as encouragement. Ha ha, his main guitar is a cherry SG, as was mine Back In The Day. A great guitar, I'm happy if he sticks with it. I recommend this album, but for my collection, it is 3 stars.
  • Mumford & Sons, "Delta", 2018, 14 tracks. As with Fleet Foxes, I think that "power folk" bands really have a problem finding a sweet spot and staying in it. This album was way rockish. 3 stars.
  • My Brightest Diamond, "A Million and One", 2018, 10 tracks. Maybe from Amazon weekly email? The vehicle of indie rocker Shara Nova out of NYC. Very high quality tunes. 4 stars. Here's "A Million Pearls".

  • Elvis Costello, "Look Now", 2018, 12 tracks. Elvis is one of those old dudes (64 YO, YOB 1954, age of my brother Mark) who keep cranking out great albums. Kudos! 4 stars. Here's "Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter", with poppy grooves that would make Todd Rundgren proud.

That does it for 2018. On to 2019.
  • Beirut, "Gallipoli", 2019, 12 tracks. This seems to be the most prolific of Lexington native Kelly Pratt's several bands. I think of the music as Balkan Pop. 4 stars. Here's "Corfu".

  • Broken Social Scene, "Let's Try The After (Vol. 1)", 2019, 5 tracks. The latest from the Toronto super-group. These are all strong tunes, 4 stars. Here's "1972".

  • Deerhunter, "Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?", 2019, 10 tracks. I get these guys confused with Deerhoof. This album has some decent tunes. 3 stars.
  • Mudbone, "Live At Dogtooth", 2018, 7 tracks. Mudbone is the house band for the Dogtooth Sports & Music Bar (formerly Vodka Bar formerly Weekend Willie's) Tuesday Night Blues Jam, 7:30-10:30. They usually play 60-90 minutes, then start asking people up. I've played at this jam every Tuesday I'm in Naples FL since maybe 2011-2012? Mudbone is a fabulous band: Bill E. Peterson on drums, playing a kick, snare, high hat and ride cymbal; Jerry Fiero on harp & vocals; Ricky Howard on guitar & vocals; Ray Nesbit on guitar & vocals, & David Carlton Johnson on bass & vocals. David also is excellent on keys & guitar & tours with Aaron Neville on bass, keys, & vocals. 4 stars. Here's an old recording of "Be Thankful For What You Got". Mario Infanti, who moved back to CT a couple of years ago & was replaced by Ray Nesbit, is on guitar & vocals. Mario played with Chuck Mangione.

    Note, I realized a couple of years ago I could steal material I like from people in Naples & perform it in Lexington and visa versa. I've been doing this arrangement at jams in Lexington with a full band & in the duo with Steve; people really respond to it, FTW!

  • Panda Bear, "Buoys", 2019, 9 tracks, I get this guy mixed up with Gold Panda. This guy is part of Animal Collective. This is some decent alternative rock. 3 stars.
  • Boston, eponymous, 1976, 8 tracks; "Don't Look Back", 1978, 8 tracks; "Third Stage", 1986, 10 tracks; and "Walk On", 1994, 10 tracks. As I described in "Back In The Day", in spring of 1970 I played in a band with Tom Scholz, who later founded Boston, wrote & arranged most of the material, and still records and tours as Boston. 4 stars for the 1st 3, 3 stars for the 4th album. Here's one of their many iconic songs, "More Than A Feeling". Tom is the guy with the sleeveless top playing the gold Les Paul.

  • Andrew Bird, ""My Finest Work Yet", 2019, 10 tracks. Bird is always reliable for providing very listenable music, but no standout catchy tunes in this effort. 3 stars.
  • Fake Laugh, "Honesty / Surrounded", 2019, 2 tracks. This came from the weekly newsletter email I have started receiving from Bandcamp. Both songs are excellent, shamelessly upbeat & poppy, 4 stars. Here's "Surrounded".

  • Chelsea Wilson, "Chasing Gold", 2019, 10 tracks. Modern Australian disco, what's not to like? This also came from the Bandcamp newsletter. 4 stars. Here's the title track.

That takes us through April Fool's Day. Current unrated smart playlist is 174 songs, oops. Probably need to process Music In again at the end of July.

No comments: