Friday, October 30, 2015

Beef Barley Soup

I save recipes as text files on my hard drive. Then, when my kids call me (and actually, recipes are the #1 thing my kids call me for), I can just email them the file. But, tonight I made a beef barley soup from scratch - I used to use a mix to start with - and it was totally delicious! So, for posterity, here it is.

Beef Barley Soup

1.5# steak (sirloin)
2 cans (14 oz) reduced sodium beef broth
1.5 cup baby carrots
3 stalks celery
1 large russet potato
1.5 cups fresh green beans
3 smallish vine tomatoes
4 oz gourmet blend fresh mushrooms
3/4 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 cup 10-minute barley

Total cook time, 1h20m. Ready to eat at T. Stir every 2-3 minutes.
2 quart big pot too small; you need a 3 quart pot minimum.
Bump heat up every time you add stuff, bump down when boiling again.

Remove fat and cube steak.
T -80 minutes: Brown steak in a little olive oil w a few shakes garlic powder.
Add 1 t onion salt; 1/2 t MSG; 1 t black pepper.
T -70 minutes: Add beef broth + 4.5 cups water (8 cups liquid total).
Add diced carrots, celery, potato, green beans.
Add 1 t dried parsley, 1 t dried oregano, 1 t dried basil, 3 bay leaves, 3 T marsala cooking wine.
Once boiling, reduce heat, cover.
T -25 minutes: add diced tomatos and mushrooms.
T -20 minutes: add corn and peas.
T -15 minutes: remove bay leaves; add barley.
T -10 minutes: add 1 T lemon juice.

Serve with crescent rolls.

No comments: