Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Weather Is Broken

I've been going back & forth about writing this post, I've decided in the best Dumbass traditions to let 'er rip!

I have looked at weather maps every day for over 40 years. I think I could be a decent weather forecaster - but, I have never read a single book on the topic, oops - that might be a start.

My browser fires up with 6 tabs open to weather sites:

  1. NWS radar
  2. Current US Weather Map
  3. Wind map
  4. Global Jetstream Forecast
  5. Lexington KY 10 Day Forecast
  6. National Hurricane Center
I have been telling people for a couple of years now: forget everything you thought you knew about weather. Weather is changing. Weather has changed. It's a whole new world out there.

Case in point. On (?) Sep 23, Lexington had its 1st rain in 24 days: a totally weak-ass cold front finally came south, and generated < 0.1" of rain. The same occurred 4 days later.

So, after record rainfall in September 2018, record lack of rainfall in September 2019. After those 2 pitiful rainfalls, we went right back to the 3rd or 4th 5-6 day stretch of highs in the mid-90s.

The drought finally broke on October 6: finally, in late evening, a serious, drenching downpour, FTW!!!

Here's a pic of the NWS radar at 5:30 PM, September 27. Those dim blue areas are what the radar normally looks like at night. They basically mean there is no weather - you're just getting low-level scattering off of hills, etc.

What did the weather map look like? No weather - just 2 highs dominating the entire southeastern US.

The wind map confirms: no wind in the SE US.

Here it is 2 days later, after one of those weak-ass cold fronts came through: huge highs over the entire eastern US. No weather. Drought.

So glad we finally got a decent rain. But no rain in the forecast until Saturday, so I will have to go back to every-other-day watering of my vegetable & my wife's flower gardens.

Weather is broken.

No comments: